Since 1810, we have endeavored to bloom where we are planted in one of the greatest cities in the world and to respond to the prophet Micah’s call to “act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with our God.”
The Park Avenue Christian Church emerged out of a fervent desire to embrace a pure and simple understanding of church life as found in the New Testament. On October 10, 1810, nine members of the Ebenezer Baptist Church of New York City withdrew from that congregation and formed a group similar to others emerging at that time – “the Disciples of Christ.” A letter dated March 1, 1818 tells of the foundation for their community including hymn singing, the Lord’s Supper, Scripture reading, prayers, exhortation by the elders, and words of praise.
The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), with roots in the Scottish reformation, was born on the American frontier in the early 1800′s. Our witness and mission now reach throughout the world.
The congregation settled at its present site on April 15, 1945, and took the name Park Avenue Christian Church. The Park, both a Shalom and open and affirming congregation, is in ecumenical partnership with the United Church of Christ. It is considered one of the oldest continuously serving congregations of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
A long history of freedom, diversity and tradition has shaped Park Avenue Christian Church into a spirit-filled community of faith.
Our House of Worship
Take a virtual tour of the amazing art and architecture of The Park.
Originally built as the old South Dutch Reformed Church in 1911, the sanctuary was inspired by La Sainte Chapelle in Paris and was designed by Cram, Goodhue, and Ferguson Notable architectural features are: the buttress-supported structure, which allows for the absence of any steel girding; Tiffany stained-glass windows; and the addition in 1982 of a 56 rank organ built by Walter Holtkamp.
In 1963, an educational building was constructed, including two floors and a roof playground to provide space for a new neighborhood pre-school.
In 2009, the church complex became wheelchair accessible with the addition of a wheelchair lift to the entrance of the Adams Building on Park Avenue.