Part Three: Artifacts from the Congregation’s History
Through the glass doors is the narthex, the entrance area outside the nave. Artifacts from the congregation’s history are on display here, including historic documents, engraving plates, and a copy of the 1810 charter.
On the North and South sides of the narthex are columbariums with niches for the interment of funerary ashes, serving as an “urban churchyard.”
Step through the double wooden doors and look up. Four-part ribbed vaulting spans the nave in authentic French Gothic style, supporting the weight of the ceiling without steel reinforcement. The Guastavino tiles of the webbed vaulting are lighter than stone and provide superior acoustic qualities.
Please forward this email and invite friends to join us for A Walk in The Park. Anyone can sign up to receive the series by clicking here and selecting “Reflections.”